Do You want to Buyer a "Fixer Upper"?

Do You want to Buyer a "Fixer Upper"?

I did! Surprised

And I chose to be my own Contractor - for the first time. And suffice it to say, it has been a challenge and I haven't even started the renovation.

My renovation is in a condo, so I am bound by the building By-Laws which require me to get a Building Permit. So I have joined the throngs of home owners, contractors, and developers lined up at city hall, waiting weeks and most often months for the prized permit.

One of the reasons for the long wait periods is that permit applications are often rejected - for missing information or drawings or requests to do unpermitted work, like remove a load bearing wall!

If you choose to be your own contractor, there is some good savings - contractors can charge 10-20% of the cost of the renovation ($20,000 to $40,000 for a $200,000 renovation) which is a lot. However, most contractors come with their rolodex of experienced trades people, who are difficult to find on your own.Fortunately, I have wonderful friends in the business and they were very generous in sharing their list of trusted trades.

Another plus on this arduous journey is that I am learning so much that is valuable to my job as a realtor and that is always a good thing.

Once I get my Building Permit, I will feel like I have won the lottery! 


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.