Should You Co-sign your Child's Mortgage?

Should You Co-sign your Child's Mortgage?

In Canada, a co-signer on a mortgage is someone who agrees to be legally responsible for the mortgage payments if the primary borrower defaults. Mortgage with a co-signer can help a borrower qualify for a loan if they have insufficient credit history or income on their own. However, it's a significant financial commitment and carries risks for the co-signer.

A bare trust agreement, on the other hand, is a legal arrangement where a trustee holds property or assets on behalf of a beneficiary. In the context of real estate, a bare trust may be used for various purposes, such as holding property for the benefit of a minor child or managing property on behalf of someone who is unable to do so themselves.

If a parent co-signs their child's mortgage and the property is held in a bare trust, it means that the parent may have legal responsibility for the mortgage payments, but the property is legally owned by the child and held in trust by the parent as trustee. This arrangement can have implications for taxation, estate planning, and asset protection.

It's essential to consult with a legal and financial advisor to understand the implications of co-signing a mortgage and entering into a bare trust agreement, as these arrangements can have complex legal and financial consequences.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.